Wednesday, September 4, 2013

September Musings

Ah, and another September begins.  I’ve always loved Septembers.  They feel fresh – like the start of something new.  I guess it stems from years of starting another school year in September.  It’s amazing how certain things stick with you over the years.  

Anyhow, I had a lovely summer vacation!  Well...technically, minus the 'vacation' part – although living next to the ocean made it feel a lot like a vacation, even if I was working through the majority of it.

Vancouver had an amazing summer and enjoying the sunshine from its beaches made me realize how lucky I am for the opportunity to have lived in such different places – growing up on the Saskatchewan, prairies living amidst the Rockies in Calgary and now on the shores of the Pacific in Vancouver.  Each place unique and boasts its own pluses.  But I’ve also noticed that as the cities get bigger, one’s space in it gets smaller.  I find myself fascinated by the fact that children can be raised inside of apartments.  Growing up on a farm, one takes for granted that the outdoors is your playground – acres and acres of it!  I used to explore the ‘forest’ in our backyard, build snow forts out by the bins and catch tadpoles in the marsh.  I was free to ride my bike for miles or disappear for hours.  And I thought that was how the world worked.  Children roamed. 

But I have since learned that this is not always the case.  In truth, we are a small, privileged few.  We may not have grown up with swimming pools, corner stores and movie theaters just down the street, but we grew up with something few people have – space.  Space to run and stretch; space to hide from traffic noise and light pollution – to see hear silence and see stars.  Movement not limited to a sidewalk, play not determined by the availability of supervisors, and views not obstructed by skyscrapers.  To be able to swing your arms and hit no one and no thing isn’t something everyone can do in this world. 

I take nothing away from the city; in fact I enjoy a lot of what it affords.  The people-watching is incredible, the array of dining and entertainment options are only feasible because of its size.  The architecture of its buildings is beauty in and of itself.  But one thing I will never again take for granted is a place with space.  There is a finite amount of land on earth and when you get a lion’s share, soak it in!  For far too few people know the true value of having a great deal of space.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment